Sunday, May 11, 2014

Inaugural Post


I haven't always known that I enjoy cooking. In fact, a few years ago the very thought of going to the grocery store, buying ingredients and assembling them in a way that you can only hope may be edible used to give me so much anxiety that I would choose a take out menu over a challenge. 
In recent years, I've discovered my passion for not only food, but actually the process of making it. I'm not sure whether it's living in New York, surrounded by amazing culinary abundance, or having a fiance who's constantly praising my abilities, but I now find myself actually enjoying cooking.
I started off small about 5 years ago, making pizza. It's actually much easier than you could imagine!
So in my first post, I'm going to show you how you can take the below 5 ingredients + water  and any toppings your heart desires and turn it into a delicious pizza.

Dough
2.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 Packages Yeast
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Water (more if needed)

Instructions:
Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add vegetable oil and warm water and mix together until all the ingredients form. You may need to add a little more warm water until it all forms together. Knead the dough for approximately 1 minute. Coat a clean bowl with a little bit of olive oil and put the dough inside. Cover and let sit for up to 3 hours or until it's doubled in size.

Sauce (optional):
You don't have to make your sauce homemade but I prefer it and it's also quite easy!

1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
2 gloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 pinch of pepper
1 pinch of cayenne
5 leaves basil 
1 tbsp sugar
Splash of red wine (optional)

Instructions:
Heat olive oil over low heat, add garlic and let simmer for about 30 seconds. Add crushed tomatoes and paste. Add all remaining ingredients plus whatever seasonings you feel like and let simmer for about a half hour, stirring occasionally. I actually like to make the sauce the night before the pizza so all of the flavors really mix together.

Holly's Margarita Pizza Toppings:
Homemade Sauce
1 16 oz package of fresh mozzarella
1/2 of a red onion, chopped
 Basil for garnish 


Pizza Assembly:
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
Pizza stones are obviously ideal, but you can also use a metal baking sheet if that is all you have available. Coat the stone or sheet with olive oil. Spread the dough out thin over the stone/baking sheet so it slightly hangs over the edge. Turn the edges in to make a crust. 
Cover the dough with sauce and cheese (don't add onions yet!). 
Put in the oven for about 18 minutes. After 18 minutes, open the oven. The cheese should just be starting to brown. Throw on the red onions and put the pizza back in the oven. Turn the oven on broil for 2-4 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble.

Remove from the oven and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment