Sunday, May 25, 2014

Homemade Granola

It's my goal to be posting at least 3 recipes a week, however this week has been crazy and I didn't have an opportunity to post as much as I would like to. Thankfully because of the long weekend, I'm able to play catch up today so I'm going to be posting 3 recipes!

Let's start with the breakfast I made yesterday. I've literally been eating yogurt and granola everyday for breakfast for the past 4 years and I've never gotten sick of it. It's a great source of fiber that always keeps me full until lunch time and helps me avoid unnecessary snacking. However, the store bought kind packs tons of extra sugars and oils that end up defeating the purpose of being a "healthy choice." So I decided to give homemade granola a shot and you guys...it seriously couldn't be more easy. It took me 5 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook! I found a basic recipe on the internet and then made it my own.

So, here's what you need:


2 cups organic rolled oats
1/2 cup raw organic walnuts
1/4 cup of flax seeds
1/4 cup of raw coconut
2 tbsp of organic agave nectar
2 tbsp of coconut oil (or other healthy cooking oil just not olive oil because the flavor is too strong)
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
A little bit of salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and use your hands to mix until the coconut oil and agave have coated all of the oats (messy but fun!). Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. You might want to open up the oven half way through and mix the granola around to avoid burning.



That's it!

I'm never going back to the store bought kind!




No comments:

Post a Comment