Sunday, May 18, 2014

Healthy Banana Bread

Banana Bread is a completely new venture for me. My mom used to make it all the time growing up but I've just never attempted it. When I woke up this morning and saw the extra ripe bananas sitting on my counter, I decided to give it a shot. It's actually quite easy.
I looked up a recipe for basic banana bread and then altered the ingredients to have a little Holly twist and be just a little healthier (8 tbsp of butter is just too much).
So here  we go!



Ingredients:

1/2 cup of granulated sugar
2 tbsp agave nectar
4 tbsp of coconut oil
1 large egg + 2 egg whites
3 ripe bananas
1 tbsp milk (I used almond milk)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Sprinkle of shredded coconut
Sprinkle of flax seed
Dash of good whiskey (because...why not)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray your pan (I used 9x13 because that's all I have available right now) but you should really use a 9X5X3 pan
**note you'll have to change your cooking time depending on the pan size**

Cream sugar, agave and coconut oil until smooth. Add the eggs and combine.

In a separate bowl, mash the banana together with the milk, whiskey (optional), cinnamon, flax seed and coconut.

In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Mix the banana mixture into the creamed mixture and then add the dry ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are combined.

Put in your pan and bake for up to an hour. I only had to bake for 40 minutes because of the pan size. The top should be a nice golden brown.

You can also make delicious french toast out of the bread as well!




No comments:

Post a Comment