Sunday, July 6, 2014

Summer Time Mediterranean Salad

Hey Everybody! Sorry I haven't posted in a while...this summer has already been so busy with trying to get out to enjoy the weather as well as wedding planning. I've still been cooking a lot but just haven't found the time to post. I promise to be better the next few weeks!
So I decided to post about one my favorite recipes from the past few weeks. I was inspired by a Barefoot Contessa recipe from her cookbook "How Easy was That." Added a few of my own little twists to make it even healthier and that was it! It's my favorite because it's absolutely delicious but also incredibly quick and easy. 
It's essentially chopped up veggies with simple lemon garlic dressing and homemade pita chips. I made a batch today to have for lunch throughout the week and I'm super excited about it.
So here it goes!

For the salad, combine all of the below ingredients in a large bowl and toss together.

  • 1 can of chic peas, drained
  • 1 large cucumber, diced
  • 1 package of cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced
  • 12 kalamata olives, halved
  • 1 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1 tbsp chopped basil
  • 1 tbsp chopped mint
  • 1/2 a cup of good feta
For the dressing, combine all of the below ingredients and whisk together. 
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • Juice of a lemon
  • 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
For the pita chips, cut 4 pitas into triangles. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook at 375 degrees for 10 mins. You could brush the pita with olive oil but I've found that it's not necessary. You still get that awesome crunch without the extra fat.

Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until evenly coated. Top with feta cheese and serve with the pita chips!

And that's pretty much it!!









1 comment: